Monday, June 15, 2009

My Perception - Surgery~

Alhamdulillah I was able to finish the surgery posting without any problem, except my log book. I failed inserting brannula and do proctoscopy. Anyway, surgery is such a posting that really tough and test your brain and body fitness. It is not as easy as what other people told me before. They keep on telling me that surgery is easier and direct to the point. But for me it is different. Yes it is direct to the point but it hard actually compared to internal medicine posting.

First of all the work that we need to do has doubled. Since every week we have to present 1 long case, I really need to spend most of the weekdays doing it, since I am not good at presenting long cases. But frankly speaking, I learned a lot during presenting my long case. It is actually thanks to both of our lecturers that come out with the idea of presenting it in hard copy because they want to see it how we write the cases. It feels like having a personal tuition classes whenever our lecturer correct the mistakes in the presentation. I really benefited in every long case that I presented.

One thing that I really like during this posting is the bedside teaching. Bedside teaching with Mr Ahmed Awil is great. We are like houseman in Hospital Terendak. It was actually a good learning experience. It feels like Mr Ahmed Awil really cares about us by asking every single thing about the patient. He didn’t want any of us lagging behind. His voice was so invasive that I can still remember every single thing that he said during the bedside teaching and in the clinic, especially if I got scolded. I got scolded when I don’t know how to palpate indiect inguinal hernia. He said that I can’t become a doctor because of that. I will reveal one secret here. I will always cry actually whenever I look at the clinical examination video for inguinal hernia. I don’t like it and sometimes I just hate surgery because of that but then I know that I have to do it in order to become a doctor. It was actually thanks a lot to Mr Ahmed Awil for keep on pushing us to do and learn something. It helps to increase our momentum, especially a slow learner like me. It makes me wanted to improve my performance, just because I don’t want to get scolded again.

Bedside teaching with Mr Ahmed Ali is totally different. It also a great learning experience but in different way. I enjoy bedside teaching with him even though I will always get palpitation waiting to be asked. He is really great but terribly humble. The way he explains things one by one really helps me to remember things easily. Alhamdulillah I can still remember the things that he asked during our TBL and seminar because he tried to correlate the learning issues in the topic. Bedside teaching with Mr Al Amin is a priceless experience. He showed us how to do a proper clinical examination. I can see that he tries to explain everything in detail regarding the cases.

I want to suggest one thing. For me it is good if the lecturers arranged the class for us like the way Dr Haizal organize it in O&G posting. I felt that I don’t have enough teaching in this posting.
I love the idea of using stair in this posting. It is good for our health.

Last thing, I would like to say sorry to both Mr Ahmed about my performances. I am truly sorry about it. It is not because I took it lightly but I am panic during the discussion. I don’t really like the way exam being conducted. It was totally not suitable for me. However, I seriously will improve myself. That is my pledge for the end posting of surgery. Thank you again to Mr Ahmed Awil, Mr Ahmed Ali Almutawakel, and Mr Al Amin for your teaching during this 8 week of surgery posting. We are so lucky to have all of you as our lecturers. May Allah bless you always. Thank you so much.

No comments: