Monday, June 15, 2009

My Perception - Internal Medicine~

William Arthur Ward once said, “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires”.

If someone going to ask me, what is the great thing about internal medicine; I will definitely say that is because there are too many great teachers here. Dr Shuhaila, Dr Rafizi, Prof Latiff, Prof Rashid, and others have been inspiring me all the times. For example about Dr Shuhaila, she organize a class even on Sunday for us to do a mock long case exam. At that time, she was just coming back from Sabah. And every week, Dr Shuhaila and Dr Rafizi will do a class for us on Saturday from 8 am until 2 pm at least. On weekdays, Dr Rafizi will come almost every day. Where can I find such a great dedicated lecturers?

I always ask Allah to give me knowledge so that I can teach others same as the way my lecturers teach me. It is really inspired to look at them. I really want to be like them. There are only two types of person that I can be jealous to. The first one is the one that have the knowledge and he teaches others. The second one is the one that have wealth and he used it for Islam. Both of the qualities can be seen in my lecturers.

I hate the feeling when I go to hospital and no one really cares about medical student. I hope that I don’t become like that. I want to teach my junior even though at that time I am only a houseman. Ward round has been so boring for me in Putrajaya. Everyone is damn serious with their works. Can’t hospital become a better place for everyone?

I really hope that there is a continuation of study circle in Putrajaya so that we have a motivation. Sometimes we’re repeating the same day everyday. Go hospital and clerk the patient. We’re human and we tend to be bored. It will be great when we receive a booster at least once a week.

I think my enjoyment of clinical years is basically because I understand the learning process. I am not studying for the sake of exam like when I was in my pre-clinical years. I think I am just surviving in my pre-clinical years. The feeling of thirsty about the knowledge really comes in clinical years.

I agree with Dr Shuhaila that there should be a concept of mentor mentee in clinical years. Everyone should have their own mentor so that the mentor can really help them if they’re weak in certain area.

I love my small group for Internal Medicine. They have been helping me so much in terms of my study. I felt for the first time, SCL has been done. If we’re bored, we will do a discussion about our patient. All of us will really discuss about the patient especially every Tuesday in Terendak as Prof Rashid will come the next day =)

In this small piece of perception, I would like to ask forgiveness from all of my lecturers for every single mistake that I do that hurt you. Thanks a lot for such a wonderful experience.

No comments: